Where Atlanta now stands was once a small Native American village known as Standing Peachtree. The village was easily accessible by land and close to the Chatthoochee River, so it quickly became regarded by early settlers as a strategic point for trading with the Creek Nation. During the War of 1812, the same Creek Nation was aligned with the British. Georgia built several forts for protection, one of which was placed at Standing Peachtree on a high hill. With the fort, settlers came to the area and spread the farms. The town of Standing Peachtree was the first town designated as a post office in the county in 1825.
At this point in Atlanta’s early history, there is little of note for Kindred. It’s a small town far from the coast and seven miles away from the nearest river. Coastal towns like Charleston, Savannah, and New Orleans were far larger and more prominent. Until the railroads were built connecting Atlanta to larger population centers, it was irrelevant as far as the Kindred were concerned.
However, most of rural Georgia (as well as North and South Carolina) were ruled by the so-called Southern Lords. These vampires were typically Ventrue, Toreador, and Tremere Kindred that declared domain over their own plantation. They would rule them as a feudal lord over a fief, and they were very protective of their domain. They would use the slaves as their Herd.
There are also stories of Gangrel vampires roaming the lands, interacting with local tribes.
It was the growth of railroads that brought people into the area, and the rest of the non-coastal South. In 1835, Georgia governor Wilson Lumpkin pushed for a railroad building project. A railroad terminal and junction point was selected and named Marthasville in honor of the Governor’s youngest daughter. When the railroads were completed, the small settlement grew rapidly. In 1845, it was renamed to Atlanta. Although several Kindred followed the rail lines, very few stayed. The territorial Southern Lords did like strangers in their domain.